Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Golfing in Kathmandu

If the title of this post sounds a bit surprising to you, you're not the only one. When blog reader Stan reached out to us to let us know he was considering a six-month stint in Kathmandu to volunteer with the Himalayan Youth Golf Association, Brian and I shared this thought: "That's cool, but, uh, where's all that green space?"

Well, it turns out that Kathmandu has not one but three golf courses: the Royal Nepal Golf Club adjacent to the airport, the Army Golf Club in Gujeshwori, and the Gokarna Forest Golf Resort in Gokarna. Stan has been working to develop the youth program at the Royal Nepal Golf Club, and he generously invited us for a free lesson at the course.

We started the morning at the clubhouse, which looks pretty much exactly as you would expect a golf clubhouse next to the Kathmandu airport to look.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug


And the course itself? Well, I'm no expert, but I was pretty happy just to see so much grass. The Himalayas in the distance didn't hurt either.




Stan told us that he was excited to teach a language in fluent English again, but I don't know if he was prepared for us -- two total golf novices. Sure, we've played our fair share of putt-putt, and I have some good golfing genes in my family, but neither of us had ever really learned how to swing a club.

But we were no challenge for Stan, who gave us a great introductory lesson that quickly had us actually hitting the ball (I had my doubts about my own hand-eye coordination for this one). Thanks, Stan!




No comments: