Thursday, December 22, 2011

Pokhara 4.0

Well, we are back from Pokhara, which a few readers correctly identified in our teaser post on Monday. No one, however, mentioned anything about my Carmen Sandiego allusion in the title of that post. Hello? Don't tell me that Brian and I are the only geography nerds who obsessively watched that TV show and played the computer game.

Anyway, we had a lovely trip to Pokhara, which we have written about before here and here. Although this marked my third time and Brian's fourth time in Pokhara, this particular visit was arguably the best. We had spectacular views -- the best we have ever enjoyed from this lakeside spot at the foot of the Annapurna range -- and I can happily report that the mountains never cease to stun me, even after being spoiled by close encounters with the Himalayas during our Annapurna Circuit and Everest Base Camp treks. We also enjoyed some excellent food and other treats. We want to give this trip its full due, including hotel and restaurant recommendations, but for now I am just going to share a few highlights from Pokhara.

A relaxing boat ride on Phewa Lake. I could have curled up in the bottom of the boat and taken a nap, but the views were just too good to close my eyes.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug


Delicious coffee, fresh brown bread, homemade hummus, and caramel squares at AM/PM Organic Cafe.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug


Steaming hot baths at our brand new hotel. STEAMING HOT. I took no fewer than two per day.




A festive Christmas tree outside Olive Cafe.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug


A stunning sunrise view from our hotel balcony on our last morning.




Pokhara, we love you. Thanks for a wonderful visit.

No comments: