Thursday, December 1, 2011

Fresh Lemon Soda (Or: Nectar of the Gods)

Back in 2005, or what seems like ages ago now, I traveled around Southeast Asia on an epic two-month trip with three close college friends. On days when temperatures kissed 100 degrees Fahrenheit, the sun blazed, and I had salt stains on my clothing from sweating so much (never observed before or since), there was one drink that truly tasted like it was straight from heaven: Fanta. I'm not sure which of us dubbed it "Nectar of the Gods," but so it was. I had never been a fan of Fanta or other orange sodas before (or since, for that matter), but that stuff truly quenched thirst when my fourth liter of water that day (that day!) just didn't cut it.

In Nepal, Brian and I have discovered a similarly wonderful drink: fresh lemon soda. It is the easiest thing in the world -- just squeeze about a tablespoon of fresh lemon or lime juice in the bottom of a glass and pour in soda water. I know, I know, you smart people out there are thinking that I am missing the obvious, that lemon-flavored soda water has existed for ages. Maybe in the U.S. and the rest of the world, but not in Nepal! Here we make our own.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
(Yes, our lemons look like small key limes)


Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug


And trust me on this: fresh is best. Go try it now.

No comments: