Wednesday, December 14, 2011

30 Before 30: Week Three Update

I am excited to report that on December 9 we reached my goal of funding 30 loans! Fittingly, it was my mom who made the 30th loan, this one to a young Palestinian man who needs to buy agricultural inputs for his family farm.

But my lending team did not stop there. Since we reached my goal, members have funded another three loans, bringing the total tally to 33 loans and $1,050. I am so thrilled by how much we have raised in just three short weeks, and I hope to inspire you all to keep lending by sharing a few more highlights from some of the borrowers in our portfolio.

There's Maria Eloisa, who started a clothing shop in Colombia in order to support her ailing mother and 10 year-old daughter with cognitive disabilities.

There is Daniel from Kenya. A farmer for 20 years, Daniel will use his loan to purchase and insure a baby cow, which will produce additional milk to sell at the local market.

There is Martha, a borrower who lives in Miami and runs a successful cleaning service franchise. With her second loan she intends to contract with a major local company and buy additional supplies.

Then there is Sanu Maiya, whom I most certainly met during my Kiva Fellowship with BPW Patan in Nepal. Sanu Maiya has already repaid seven loans from BPW Patan, and her eighth loan will allow her to buy stock for her grocery store.

If you needed more reasons to lend, I hope these stories inspire you. To read about all of the loans that my lending team funded, see here.

Finally, I want to let you know about Kiva Cards, which are an excellent holiday gift. We gave them to all of our family members last year. You can choose from four easy delivery options: a physical gift card through snail mail, Facebook delivery, an email message, or a card that can be printed on your computer.

Give the gift of Kiva today!


No comments: