Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Bizzare Foods Update: Pocari Sweat

After my post about unusual foods in a Kathmandu grocery store, I received some feedback from people informing me that Pocari Sweat is indeed a tasty drink. Evidently this elixir is from Japan and is intended as a sports drink -- a Japanese Gatorade, if you will. I invested in a 330 ml (11.2 oz) can, which at 89 Nepali rupees (about 1.25 USD) is relatively expensive. Such is the price for enjoying a can of Sweat.

I popped it in the fridge and waited for a moment when I needed hydration. After an afternoon of walking Kathmandu's warm, muggy, monsoon streets, I cracked open the can of Sweat and took a chug. Not bad. Like classic Gatorade, Pocari Sweat is non-carbonated and has a vague, hard-to-place citrus flavor. Curious about its color, I poured some over ice.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Pocari Sweat -- is it in you?

No comments: