Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Mannequins of Kathmandu

Pediophobia: intense, irrational fear or dolls, mannequins, or other false representations of sentient beings.

Some people find mannequins and dolls creepy. Like any child of the 80s, I had a healthy fear of the killer Chucky doll from the Child's Play horror movie series. Not that I ever wanted to or was allowed to watch -- the previews were frightening enough, thank you very much. And besides, I was already sufficiently traumatized from the time my aunt and uncle allowed me to watch Nightmare on Elm Street at the tender age of four (file that under "what were they thinking?"). Some adults find doll collections creepy. I say leave the dolls out of it -- the creepiest thing about such collections is the owner's odd hobby (apologies to all Beanie Baby enthusiasts past and present).

Childhood nightmares aside, I do not have a problem with mannequins or dolls today, which is a good thing because mannequins are ubiquitous outside of clothing stores in Kathmandu. The mannequins here are a lot like the ones I knew in the States, with some minor differences.

Many storefronts hang thin, plastic mannequin shells displaying their wares.




Full-size mannequins are around, too, but sometimes their posture is a bit off.




Or they are missing some apendages.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug



Or, perhaps, they are just having a bad hair day (they're only human, err...).




What really gets me are the child mannequins.





Some are more lifelike than others.

























And some are...well, unfortunate.




But really, pediophobics, there is nothing to be afraid of...or is there?

No comments: