Monday, April 25, 2011

Doors of Patan

When I was a child, my parents and I occasionally went to a little Irish pub in Annapolis for a weekend lunch. I remember two things about this restaurant. One, the green salad, which I ordered every single time because I loved the big rings of raw, red onion piled on top of the iceberg lettuce. And two, a poster on a wall depicting a photo collage of Irish doors.

I'm sure you have seen it. There are at least a few variations.


It was this last poster -- the most classic one, I will argue -- that hung on the restaurant wall, and I pored over it every time we went to the pub. I loved it. I don't know why, except that I was a strange child who also loved raw, red onions.

In retrospect, maybe my love for this poster was a sign that the travel bug, or at least the desire to see new places, hit me early. For the record, my travel at this point had been wholly limited to trips to historic homes from Virginia to Massachusetts, and that would not change for many years. In fact, I still have never been to Ireland.

When walking around the historic parts of Patan last week, I found myself drawn to the brightly colored doorways lining the streets. Without even realizing it at first, I began to recreate my own photo collage of doors. Here are my favorites.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Maybe a new poster in the making?

No comments: