Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Constructing the Future

In response to my friend David's photo of a construction site in Nairobi, I submit this photograph for your consideration:

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug


This school under construction is presumably the future home for Future Stars, but every time I pass by I can't help but worry for the future of the construction workers toiling there. For now, the structure appears to be held up with a bit of bubble gum and a whole lotta hope. Assuming OSHA lacks jurisdiction here, someone better contact Newton because this construction site appears to have violated his law of gravity.

My hope is that the workers off today were honoring the women in their lives during International Women's Day, which is definitely observed as a holiday here in Nepal. A special worldwide shout out to all the women out there holding up Half the Sky.

No comments: