Thursday, March 10, 2011

Above the Law

I awoke this morning to discover that I was in the midst of my 15 minutes of fame, but due to the difference in times zones had slept through about 14.5 minutes of it. While I was sound asleep in Nepal, my departure email to my corporate law firm, Skadden Arps, was featured on Above the Law, a premier legal blog especially popular with lawyers at large firms. You can see the post here.

I was an avid reader of Above the Law during my time as a large-firm lawyer, so it was a bit surreal to wake up and find myself featured on the site today. Given that legal scandals are a favorite topic on ATL, I was relieved that my debut was my departure email and not, say, a Charlie Sheen-esque meltdown (though I suppose there is still time for that, so let's not get ahead of ourselves).

We are humbled by the generally favorable response this blog received from Above the Law's editor, David Lat. Regarding the question of whether we have educational debt and the speculation from some commenters that we must be trust fund babies, we are here to report that, unfortunately, we are still making payments on our existing educational loans and neither of us is sitting on a trust fund (unless some long-lost great aunt comes bounding out of the woodwork). A combination of sacrificial saving and debt payment while in Chicago coupled with the cost of living in Nepal has made this adventure financially feasible at the moment. We weren't satisfied with where we were in our lives and after much deliberation and planning decided to make changes. Our changes may have been more risky and drastic than others', but what could be more risky and drastic than knowingly continuing down the wrong path? I wasn't aware that it was a prerequisite to have a trust fund to quit your job, but it's my opinion that if you're waiting for the "perfect time" and situation to make a large and at times uncomfortable or, hell, scary change in your life, then you may be waiting a long time indeed.

So thank you, Above the Law, for the mention and definitely for the shout out to Claudine's work with the wonderful organization Kiva, which we can't plug enough. And thank you, Skadden Arps, for all the valuable lessons I learned there, some of which led me to Kathmandu. The view from my Chicago office was awesome, but I wouldn't trade it for my view during lunch just the other day.


No comments: