Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Bakery Cafe

Late this afternoon I emerged from my sick bay for the first time since Saturday afternoon for a long-ago scheduled meeting at The Bakery Cafe. The move was a bit ambitious on my part -- I still do not feel great, and the traffic, air pollution, and, well, natural sunlight left me feeling generally disoriented.

Thankfully, I was able to take refuge at our meeting spot, The Bakery Cafe in the Pulchowk area of Patan. I had passed by this location once before during my misguided trip by the UN House when I was searching for my yoga class. I suppose credit is owed where credit is due. I once was lost, but, thanks to that ill-fated trip, now I had found: The Bakery Cafe in Pulchowk.

The Bakery Cafe is a chain of restaurants located throughout Kathmandu and Patan. It serves the standard but wide-ranging fare that you encounter in most Western restaurants here (read: anything but dal bhat). Though famous for its momos, or Tibetan-style dumplings, The Bakery Cafe also puts out Italian (pastas and pizzas), American (burgers), South Indian (dosas and idli), and American Chinese (chowmein). I stuck with bottled water this time.

The Bakery Cafe is not so notable for its food, though, as its service, as it employs mostly deaf people. Here, there is a welcome respite from the communication breakdowns that often happen when trying to converse in a mix of broken English and broken Nepali. Instead, we can happily and quite effectively go straight to the hand gesture, pointing, and smile system. Obviously, it is not ideal -- I should aim to pick up some Nepalese Sign Language if I continue to frequent Bakery Cafes -- but it works. And, unlike at some other spots around town, I never leave feeling frustrated.

2 comments:

Kate said...

I am so glad you are feeling better, and glad that you had some Nepali TLC!

Claudine said...

Thanks, Kate! Yes, I am definitely on the mend.