Sunday, January 30, 2011

Searching for Yoga in Nepal

After receiving some recommendations on yoga instructors and classes through the ktmktm Google group, I tried a class this morning at the International Sports Club in Sanepa, a neighborhood of Patan.

Like the 1905 Restaurant, the International Sports Club has a colonial and regal, if slightly run-down, architecture style.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

A pot with floating flowers greeted me at the entrance:

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

In addition to tennis courts, the sports club has a pool (and more footbridges!):

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

A gym area with weights:

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

I would have photographed the cardio room, but the power was off, so the lights, as well as the equipment, were also off. (No 24-Hour Fitness here).

The club also has a small rooms for classes, including my yoga session this morning. The instructor, Rupesh, teaches sivananda yoga, a style that was new to me. Rupesh explained that it is a more traditional yoga style that focuses on alignment and breathing. While all yoga traditions draw on the same poses, sivananda yoga is slower than the ashtanga vinyasa yoga that I have always practiced. As Rupesh reminded us during one pose, our practice was not about achieving vigor and strength but instead about observing the body with great concentration.

I left feeling very relaxed and glad to have tried something new, but I'm not sure I will be hurrying back to the International Sports Club for yoga. First, I am not positive that I could find my way back there if I wanted to, because even my taxi driver got lost in the meandering, narrow alleys of Sanepa. And second, I think my private terrace will make for a great private yoga studio, with the help of some yoga Podcasts.

Next time I think I will roll out my yoga mat...

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

...for some sun(ny) salutations at home.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

1 comment:

DA said...

The footbridges seem to be a very practical solution to more quickly get from one side of the pool to the other and yet a very impractical addition to the pool. There has to be reason why they're so popular, no?